Javascript is vital for the advanced features in this website such as Property Search. Please enable or upgrade your browser

Black Mould in Your Home

Posted on 12 November 2018
Black Mould in Your Home

One of the joys of living in the UK, where it tends always to be damp, is having to deal with black mould. Having black mould in your home is not only unappealing to the eye, but it can also be dangerous to your health.

Black mould in your home will release deadly mycotoxin spores and can cause neurological breakdown, pulmonary decay, immune system degradation, skin irritation, and in extreme cases even death.

Tip for keeping black mould out of your house:

1. Keep it dry:
To prevent black mould in your home, keep your house dry. Good airflow can improve your chances of keeping mould at bay. Don't leave damp towels or shower mats on the floor, and always open a window after a shower, black mould loves bathrooms.

2. Dehumidifiers
Dehumidifiers are great for sucking up all the moister in your home as well as other dust and air-borne particles. ARIASANA Aero 360 Dehumidifier is non-electric so won't cost you a dime to run. Or if you have a lot of moister in your house, you might want a bigger dehumidifier like Inventor Care 12L.

3.Roof Gutters

Sometimes the cause of mould might be from a leaky roof caused by a full or damaged gutter. Simply get someone to properly clean out your gutters and check for any leaks that may be letting water into your home.

Plants are a great addition to your home, as they help purify your home's air, they are also moulds favourite place to live. Now don't worry, you do not need to get rid of all your household plants. Try adding a bit of Taheebo tea to the water you give to your houseplants. The oil of this tree, which withstands fungi even in rainforests, helps hinder mould growth in plant soil and can be found at natural food stores.

5. Mould Cleaners
Having mould cleaning products on hand will ensure you get on top of the issue as soon as you spot it and guarantee it doesn't spread. A mistake some people make is using bleach. Bleach has a lot of water in it which will leave the area damp, which means the mould will just come back. Having proper mould kits in the house is essential. Of course, make sure you keep them out of reach of children.